Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Time out

Today I took a time out from training.   This decision came as the result of my schedule today and because my back is still a bit sore.

First I took Rescue 57 to Station 20 today to have the air cascade system on the Rescue topped off.  Station 20 has a large air compressor and has helped us before and this time was no different.  I even backed up up the crew from Ladder 20 while I was there.  Ladder 20 was covering for Tower 1(City of Williamsport) which was out of service today.  My youngest son Brian was assigned as OVM (outside vent man) on Ladder 20 for the day tour.  It was good to see him for a bit.  The Station 20 crew were great hosts and even invited me to join them for breakfast.  There are few things better than sharing a meal with fellow fire fighters at a fire station.  Thank you to the Station 20 day tour crew.

Secondly, not long after I got back to my own fire house. (Station 57) we were dispatched for a fire.  I had the honor of getting the pipe on the job.  This means I operated the nozzle and got to put water on the fire.   Additionally as we were a bit short handed it also means I got to drag most of the 150 feet hose.  Honestly it was good work and I enjoyed the physical test.  The fire was small and resulted in little damage.

I must say I could really feel the positive results from training I have been doing.  I was not winded at all and felt very good as we picked up equipment.  What a difference a few steps have made.

Tomorrow it's back to training.

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment