Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pain in the A@$%&

Ankle.  I have a pain in my ankle.  It woke me up at 3am more effectively than a Big Ben alarm clock!  This isn't the first time this has happened.

My youth started catching up with me several years ago by reminding me of the injuries I inflicted on myself in the days when I thought I was invincible.  Every now and then for atmospheric or physical reasons my ankles or knees will hurt like there is a hidden Witch Doctor slowly turning a screw into a voodoo doll with my likeness.  Yeow!

This morning it was my right ankle.  The throbbing started as dull throb and worked its way up to a 8 or 9 on the Fujida scale. (fyi the Fujida scale only goes to 6)   I have learned to react quickly when this type of pain appears.  I took some anti-inflammatory meds,  added a warm heat pack and then tried to get some sleep.

This was not what I needed following the training issues of Sunday.  I can't afford many more days off so at 7am I was sitting on the stationary bike hoping it wouldn't hurt too much.  It hurt, but not enough to make me quit.  Focus and concentration.   I got a good, not great, 45 min ride in.  Hill course, Level 12, Max HR 95, MR 26.

Not bad considering I was prepared to amputate the ankle to get the workout in.  Perhaps I have become obsessed with this stair climb.

In any case while my ankle still has some pain after cool down.   It isn't as bad as it was early this morning.  I will continue with the meds and heat and hope I can control it.

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment