Sunday, January 22, 2012

Good, Bad and Ugly

Well I decided today to go for 69 floors with full gear and breathing on the SCBA.   I took yesterday off and felt this would be a good workout.

I didn't feel great this AM so I waited until the afternoon to give it a go.  Not sick, just didn't feel 100%, tired and a little weak.

Right from the first step things didn't feel good.  I couldn't get a good rhythm going.  I was breathing much harder earlier in the session than I had ever done before.  I tried several times to concentrate and control my breathing.  This would work for a minute or so and then I was back to sucking the mask off my face.  I was using air much faster than previous training sessions. 

As I went past floor 30 my low air alarm went off. (way too early)  I kept going and struggled to control my breathing and save the little air left in the first bottle.  As I reached 39 the low alarm stopped which is not an indication that you have extra air.  It means there isn't enough air left in the bottle to even set off the low air alarm.  As I made the 40th floor the air was gone and I was sucking the inside out of the bottle.  I was barely able to step off the machine to change bottles.  I was still struggling to control my breathing while I changed the bottle.  It took me a minute or two longer than normal to make the connections and check everything.



I was back on the stair mill and once again on air.  I was still breathing too hard and spent the next ten floors concentrating on slowing down my steps and breathing.  My legs were now becoming the problem.  They were getting weak, likely from lack of oxygen.  I struggled again to stay focused and in control.  I kept the pace down and my head up. 

My heart rate was 135 and respiration's around 55.  As I got to 65 I could almost see the top.  (and I am on a stair mill)  I might have been seeing things by then.  My legs were now jello and it took all my concentration to finish.

As I hit 69 it was all I could do to not fall off the machine.  All I could think of was; God this was an ugly workout.   I got my helmet and pack off and felt like a 200lb weight was off my back.  I was sweating like it was July.  I was soaked, legs weak, and felt like crap.   I took the next 30 minutes to walk around and cool down. 

I am not sure why today went so poorly, but I guess that happens sometimes.  It was an ugly training session that I hope doesn't get repeated soon.  If anyone has any idea what might be behind this please email me, don't be shy. 

Just like many things the path to success is not always easy and comfortable but you just can't quit.

See you at the Top!

John



  

No comments:

Post a Comment