Monday, January 16, 2012

Box 57-3

Up very early this morning for a possible structure fire, Box 57-3.   There is nothing like getting a wake up call at 5:30 am for a Box alarm.  Your body goes from zero to 60 in less than 3 seconds.  Your brain can take a few seconds longer to catch up.  Add in a temperature of minus 2 degrees and you are providing your system with quite a shock.  No wonder one of the leading causes of line of duty deaths of firefighters is sudden cardiac arrest.

This morning I caught the officer's seat on Ladder 57 for the Box.  On arrival we had no fire or smoke showing.  After a few minutes we determined the problem was a partially plugged flue pipe from the wood stove.  Problem solved in a few minutes.  We were back at the 57 house in less than an hour.

When I returned home I decided to get in my training for today.  35 minutes on the stationary bike, hill program at level 12.  I am not sure I was fully awake but I got the work in.

Tomorrow is another day.

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment