Thursday, February 9, 2012

OMG

As I have said several times; working out while on the road can present some challenges and some surprises.

Yesterday was one of those days.

I had a couple hours to kill after a lunch meeting so I thought I would get a good workout in.  I grabbed my shoes, shorts and a clean shirt from my workout bag.  As I put on the shirt I happened to check to see if it was clean and caught a whiff of something odd.  It was an odd smell, kind of like it had been washed in pond water.  Perhaps it hadn't been rinsed completely.  I wasn't sure what was wrong but it didn't seem bad enough to change shirts.

I started by doing 20 sets of walking up the 4 flights of stairs in the hotel.  I walked up and then down until I was completely bored.  Then it was off to the gym and the stationary bike.  I planned to get 40 minutes in on the bike.

As I started I noticed an that odd odor in the air but dismissed it as being a typical smell found in a gym.   The gym was fairly warm and in a few short minutes I had a good sweat working.  I noticed the odor was now getting stronger.  I glanced around to see if someone had left a wet towel around that had gone sour.  I could see nothing and now the odor was very strong.  As I peddled, my mind slowly deciphered the riddle of the smell.  I suddenly realized what the odor was and where it was coming from.

Oh my God!  The smell was cat urine and was coming from my shirt!   A biochemical booby trap had been set perhaps days earlier and the heat and sweat had triggered its release.  My shirt had been next to my suitcase for several days.  It was clear to me now that Paco, my wife's black and white cat had set this diabolical trap as a way to torment me from long distance.

Scrambling off the bike I nearly tripped as the peddles continued to spin.  I stumbled away from the bike all I could mutter was OMG, OMG, OMG!  Spinning around I looked for the door.  I had to get out of here before someone came in.  With the door open I shot down the hall in a sprint.  Back in my room the shirt was off in a second, and quickly stuffed into a plastic laundry bag.  Almost as fast I was in the shower in hopes of limiting the contamination.

Paco and I have never really gotten along and I have the battle scars to prove it.  Normally we give each other a wide birth and avoid confrontations.  This covert attack indicates Paco has changed her tactics in our long conflict.

So there you have the latest challenges and surprises from training while on the road.

See you at the Top!

John

 

No comments:

Post a Comment