Friday, February 10, 2012

Heat is good

I was awakened at about 4am with a dull throbbing pain in my left knee.  The dull pain was moving along the meniscus from medial to lateral.  Translation: it hurt below the knee cap all across the front of the knee. 

This knee had surgery years ago for a torn meniscus and this dull pain was very similar to the pain I experienced then.  I didn't recall turning or twisting awkwardly the past day or so.  I had been kneeling for a bit Wednesday, perhaps that was the cause.

I got up early and decided that this might be some arthritis coming on due to the compression of kneeling.  Additionally I decided to try a light workout to loosen the knee up.  30 minutes on the stationary bike, hill climb level 8.    The first few minutes the knee hurt like Hell.  I thought about quitting several times but kept at it.  I thought about amputation once, but dismissed that as messy.  At about 8 minutes the pain seemed to disappear and I could concentrate on keeping my pace.   It wasn't a great workout but it got done.

As part of the cool down I used a heat pack on the knee and it made it feel even better.  Several times today I took the time to use the heat pack again.  I also used some Advil.

There was no swelling which led me to believe it was arthritis.  I have been challenged with this pain in my knees and ankles for years.  Some days are good, others are very tough, and some are on crutches.  Tonight will tell the tale.  Let's hope I was correct and the heat plus anti inflammatory chases it away or keeps in manageable.

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment