Friday, February 17, 2012

Never Quit

After 3 days of tendonitis pain I finally got back on the stationary bike this morning.  A bit stiff at first, my knee did loosen up and I was able to get 35 minutes of hill climb in.

The past few days has been a blur of Ice, Heat, Ultrasound, Advil, ect.   I also have spent a lot of time on the phone with several editors and reporters.  We are getting some very good support from the local press.  Lots of questions and some great articles. 

The further I get into this adventure I learn more and more about the people we are honoring.  People who have fought Leukemia and Lymphoma.  These people have something in common.  They never quit fighting their cancer and that they all became their own best advocate for their health care.  No one pushed them to fight.  They had the incredible will and focus to push on even when it was more than difficult.  We have learned how Jake Gavitt, at 5 years old faced down his Leukemia with no fear. 

We have added Jake to our list of honorees.  Brian and I a very humbled to carry Jake's photo with us to the Top of the Columbia Tower.  Now 16, Jake has been cancer free since 2009.  He is an inspiration to Brian and I and to many children with Leukemia.  Jake never quit.

When Brian and I place Jake's photo on our helmets on March 11 in Seattle there is only one direction we can go.  Up and never quit. 

See you at the Top.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment