Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Not easier the second time around

Many things in life become easier the second time you give it a try.  Riding a bike, making a speech, climbing a tall ladder, and trying a new food for example.  You know what to expect and understand the process.

Training for the Fire Fighter Stair Climb this time is much different than last year.   Last year I was confident of success despite not knowing what the process at the event was or just how high the Columbia Tower stood.  I traveled to Seattle without a thought of not making it to the top.  As history shows I was not able to complete the climb as my always strong legs just gave out.

I remember clearly standing in the stair well when I realized the strength in my legs was gone.  While my heart said keep going my legs could barely move several inches; let alone take a vertical step up.  I remember the fear that enveloped me.

Now every time I begin a training session I feel the fear I felt in the stairwell again.   Some days it is difficult to even start a workout.  Instead of being easier, the second step this time is much, much more difficult.

Another good workout today.   Long bike ride and then some lifting.

See you at the Top!

John


No comments:

Post a Comment