Friday, December 30, 2011

First time for everything!

I took a day off yesterday to recover from the training debacle of The 28th.  As a recap I added 50lb with a weight vest and after only 10 floors on the stair machine I was in serious trouble.  I was able to get to the 30th floor as planned but was spent.  My legs were jello and my lungs were not happy. 

I did recover quickly and I made sure to walk and stretch to lessen the stiffness.  Still I was awoken the next morning at 4am with pain in both legs.  I spent yesterday walking and stretching some more.

I needed a morale boost if I was going to continue this adventure.  I got one, or should I say two.  The first was watching both my sons take on the stair machine in full turnout gear with air packs.  Both did extremely well and more importantly they didn't quit.  

The second was today when I got back on the stair machine and climbed 69 floors!    I made the climb in 22:04.  While I didn't have the added weight or the turnout gear this was still a great lift to my confidence.  Clearly I can do this.   I now have a feeling for the "distance" the climb covers and will adjust my training a bit.   My legs were a bit heavy as I finished and once again I took extra time cooling down with walking and stretching. 

My max heart rate today was 120 and max respiration was 38.   After 5 mins the HR was 72 and R was 16.   At 10 mins HR 64 & R 12.  

There is a first time for everything and making 69 floors for the first time made this a very good day.

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment