Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Walk or Run?

As Brian and I train for the Scott Firefighter Stair Climb in Seattle we are clearly taking different paths to the top.

Brian is already training on the step machine in full gear, and breathing air from his SCBA.  He is reporting times that indicate his objective is a warp 8 type run up the Columbia Center Tower.   I on the other hand have been slowly increasing my workouts on the bike and step machine daily.  I have yet to add a weight vest and perhaps due to experience I am not looking forward to wearing full gear and breathing air from the SCBA during future training runs.

Walking up 69 flights of stairs will be tough enough.  Add about 65 lbs of weight and now you have something like what firefighters carry when they go to work.  Try this as you breath air through a cocktail straw and now you have the full firefighting experience; less smoke and heat of course.

It is tempting to try to jump ahead during training and show Brian just what I can do.  My experience tells me this is not the best idea.  My knees and ankles need to be convinced, slowly that this is a good idea.   Avoiding a minor injury now that could derail the adventure is key.  I will walk, not run... for now. 

A thank you to everyone supporting my effort!

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment