Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Columbia Center

Columbia Center (formerly Bank of America Tower and Columbia Seafirst Center) is the tallest skyscraper in the down town Seattle skyline., as well as the tallest building in the State of Washington.

The Scott Firefighter Stair Climb event has been held at the Columbia Center for 20 years.  This year will be the 21st time firefighters will climb the stairwell in full gear and air pack to benefit the leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

My family has been involved in firefighting for as long as I can remember.  My father and Uncle were both Fire Chiefs when I was a teenager.  When I turned 16 I was told to attend the monthly fire department meeting.  Note I was told to attend, not asked.  It was just what was expected. 

Much has changed for firefighters since I went to my first fire.  Tactics have changed, equipment is specialized and personal protective equipment has improved significantly.  The one thing that hasn't changed is that firefighters enter burning buildings when most people are trying to leave the building.

When I first started as a firefighter we didn't have airpacks and full turnout gear.  We were lucky to have coat and helmet and a pair of roll up rubber boots.  Today we have coats and full pants, leather boots and helmets along with airpacks that allow us to work in hot smoky conditions.  Additionally training has significantly improved and allows firefighters to better read fire conditions and operate as safe as possible. 

The climb to the top of the Columbia Center will be a very tough challenge.   The key will be to find the correct pace at which to climb.  Too fast and oxygen debt will develop and cause my legs to weaken.   Too slow and I will be disappointed in my time and have to return next year. (not likely)  My training will include some experimentation on pace.  Hopefully I will find the correct speed for the best climb.

See you at the Top

John

No comments:

Post a Comment