Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The first step is always the toughest

"See you at the Top!"   These were the first words my youngest Son Brian said to me after I agreed to participate in the Scott Firefighter Stair Climb in Seattle Wa.  The event benefits the Leumkemia & Lymphoma Society and is the largest competitive firefighting event in the world.

Getting to the top of the Columbia Center Tower in Seattle will not be as easy at it may seem.  The climb is 69 flights, 1,311 steps, 788 vertical feet, all while wear full firefighting gear including self contained breathing apparatus.(SCBA)   Competitors breath the air from the SCBA and change air bottles at the 40th floor.

The decision to take on this challenge wasn't quick and easy.  I have taken on some very tough challenges over the years; some physical, others mental.  This one may be a very tough combination.  My knees aren't quite the same as they used to be and both ankles show the signs of arthritis.

This past year I was able to take less time at work and focus on getting back into shape.  Currently my health is good.  My weight is down which has put my Blood Pressure well into the normal range.  A recent chest scan showed no signs of plaque build up and my blood work has been excellent for my age.  Much of this renaissance is due to Dr. Ronald Katz, my physician who has provided guidance, comment and treatment in appropriate dosage to help me make a difference this year.

While I am in better shape than I have been for several years I will need to ramp up things if I intend to make it to the top of the Columbia Center Tower.  In full disclosure I began training for the event several weeks ago.  Currently my program includes weight training; legs, back, chest, and arms every other day.  On alternating days I use a stationary bike programmed for a hill course.  Currently the ride is 20-25 mins and then on to the Step Machine.  About ten days ago I did a practice run of 40 floors with fairly good results.   I didn't fall off the machine, and didn't develop cardiac arrest.  My plan is to continue this for several weeks and then add some things to the workout but more on that later.

It is a tradition that competitors in the Scott Firefighter Stair Climb wear a photo on their helmet of the person they are climbing for.  I will carry a photo of my Sister Kathy during the climb.  Kathy was diagnosed with Chronic myelogenous leukemia several years ago.  It will be an honor to carry her to the Top during the climb.

My intention is to chronicle this new adventure.  (I have always looked at life as an adventure)  Life is an adventure, don't just watch it go by ... get involved and experience it!

See you at the Top!

John





No comments:

Post a Comment