Monday, March 12, 2012

Stair Climb 2012

Sometimes things just don't work out no matter how much you plan, and prepare.

Yesterday Brian and I competed in the Fire Fighter Stair climb in Seattle.  The good news is that the photos of the people we were honoring got to the top of the Columbia Center Tower.  Our list of sponsors also made the climb to the top.  Brian carried the photos and our sponsors to the top in 27:38.

I am sorry to report that I was not able to complete the entire 69 flights.  To be honest my legs just gave out.   My pulse rate was high and respirations were also higher than my normal training rate.  I was met by two excellent Paramedics who did a quick evaluation.  By the time they arrived my pulse was coming back down and my respirations were normal.  My legs however, were gone.   They asked me the normal questions and took my blood pressure which was normal also.  We discussed the situation and while my vitals were OK they weren't excited about my continuing the climb.   Over the years of the event they have seen their share of competitors go from where I was to the hospital in just a few more floors.  They strongly suggested I call it a day and come back next year.

I was heartbroken.  I had trained for nearly four months, planned, and prepared for this challenge and now would fall short.  I could only stand in the hallway just off the stairwell in silence as the Paramedics waited for my decision.   They were right of course, to try to continue would likely get me into real physical trouble.  I had been barely able to push off each step when I had stopped just before the halfway mark.  My mind rushed as I could see the people I was honoring, My Sister Kathy, Jake Gavitt, and Robbe Shenk and all the sponsors who had donated on my behalf.  I was letting all these people down.  I felt horrible.  It was very difficult to send Brian a text that I was done for the day, short of my goal.  I don't think he believed my message at first.  I could tell he felt as bad as I did.  I simply nodded to the Paramedics the answer they knew was best.

The good news is that we arranged for Brian to carry our honorees photo and sponsors list to the top of the Tower.  I thank Brian for his assistance.  He did a great job and showed great heart and determination.  I can't say enough about how well Brian did.  He trained hard and had a keen focus.  If you see him, tell him well done!

I trained hard and felt prepared and yet today I still don't understand what happened.  It will take me a bit to review and assess the events of yesterday.  I am not sure if I didn't train hard enough or if it was something else.  I did feel tired in the morning and my legs felt weak even before the climb; which I attributed to nerves.  One of the Paramedic said simply, "it just wasn't your day today."

Life is an adventure and sometimes it knocks you down.  They key is to get up, dust yourself off, and carry on.

I am a better person for taking on this challenge.  My health is the best it has been in years.  I have met some fantastic people and made new friends at the event.   I am happy to report that for the first time the event raised over 1 Million dollars for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  It was amazing to see several thousand people working to help others afflicted with blood cancers and that was the real goal in all this.

I have not decided if I will try the climb again next year.  I will make that decision in the near future.   Brian would like to take on the challenge again. 

My thanks to everyone for their support and assistance.  

Perhaps you might like to give the climb a try.  It is for a great cause.  If so, please contact Brian or I and we will be happy to give you the details.   If you are then we will...

See you at the Top!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment